Friday 25 September 2015

'If I could, I would..'

(photo of the summer project 2015)

Over the summer holidays, we got sent an email which included information such as how to order our makeup kit, inspiring beauty and fashion bloggers and our summer project. The title of the project was 'If I could..I would' and the purpose of it was to answer several questions that they had sent us on a mood board. Some of the questions included 'where would you like to be in 5 years time?' and 'who do you want to work with?' We were told we could be as imaginative as as we liked, there were no boundaries-no glass ceiling! We were told we were going to present our mood boards with other students and discuss them.

Straight away I started coming up with ideas and jotted them down. I thought about the type of person I wanted to be in 5 years, what I wanted to look like and also who inspired me and I would want to work with. I used the internet for inspiration and also make up magazines that I had purchased from Imats. I looked through and found which images I liked the most and cut them out to begin sticking on my moodboard.

This was what my mood board looked like. I bought a small, thin canvas from a craft shop and some coloured string and began wrapping the string round to give it a cool effect. I then began placing my images on and deciding where I wanted them to go. I also purchased some little tags to write on.

'My dream job would be to work as a fashion makeup artist doing work for fashion week and magazines such as Vogue. I would also be interested in working in the film industry and learning special effects makeup so I have the knowledge behind me.'

'The type of person I would like to be is happy with my career and to wake up everyday excited to go to work and create new projects and show my creativity.'


'In 5 years... I would love to be working in the fashion industry. I want to create my own makeup book and create my own line of makeup for a brand such as Illamasqua or Mac.'


'I would like to work with Alex Box and Pat McGrath, both are truly amazing and inspirational makeup artists with their own creativity and uniqueness. I would like to take after Alex Box and create my own makeup line for Illamasqua.'

I really enjoyed answering all these questions and creating the moodboard too, it was a lot of fun and I would love to do something similar again.

The next part of the brief was to pick a film from this list and write a short review (300 words max). We had to answer some questions like 'what film does the genre belong to?', 'did it start a style movement or was it mirroring society at the time?' and 'did it help make the leading lady or man a fashion/style icon?'

I chose the film Clueless to review as this is one of my all time favourite films.

'Clueless is a teen romantic comedy which has inspired many people since it's coming of age with it's quirky outfits and 90's hairstyles, it was the film of the decade. The film did take inspiration from society at the time as people were wearing tennis skirts and scrunchies but I think it had it's own unique twist on 90's fashion to give it it's style. Cher, the main character became a fashion icon around the world after Clueless, even now people still dress like her and look up to her. The most iconic accessory of the whole film was definitely Cher's two piece yellow checkered set, this outfit just made the film. When you think of Clueless, you imagine Cher walking through school wearing that outfit. The makeup artist for the film told Lisa Eldridge in an interview that he only had a week to come up with the ideas for the film. But with just a weeks planning, Alan Friedman set one of the biggest trends going with Mac lipstick in Malt and brown lip liner. Now, 20 years after the making of the film, brown lipstick is making it's comeback. This, along with theatrical eyeshadow colours was the look of the 90's that has influenced many generations.' 

We had to get into groups of 5 and present our moodboards to each other and discuss our future plans. 
This is a selfie of our group.

I really enjoyed doing my summer project, talking about it to my new classmates and hearing all about what they want to do within the makeup industry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment