Sunday 27 September 2015

Induction Week! Part 3

Tuesday 22nd September
Black and White photo challenge

One of the tasks we were given during out induction week was a black and white city photo challenge, for this we had to go and explore our new city and take photos in black and white. There was no limit as to what we could photograph. I was really excited for this as I absolutely love photography, having previously studied it before coming to university. I have always had a love for black and white images, at college whenever we could pick our own theme for our brief, I would always link in black and white in some way. I just think there's such a beauty in the image whereas with a colour photo, you concentrate more on the colours in the photograph whereas a black and white one draws you in to the detail more. I was really excited to go and explore the city as I hadn't seen much around it before. I really like the parks in Southampton, they all have a nice chilled vibe about them.


My first image was taken of the skater park in the park on my way to university. I really like how the image has turned out in black and white as it still shows a lot of detail, which you are more focused on rather than if there was a lot of bright colours to distract you. I took the photo on my phone and then edited it and changed the colour of it to black and white.


My second photo was taken in a different park, just opposite the university. This one is probably my favourite image out of the three as I really like that it's more close up and focused rather than further away and showing more of the surroundings. Again, I did the same to edit it and I think it turned out really good.  I think the angle works so well as it's slightly on a slant and the left frame is filled up whereas the right one has a bit more open space in it.


This last image was taken in the same park as the previous photo but on the opposite side. As soon as I saw this pathway, I instantly fell in love with it. The detail is so nice and it has like a bridge affect to walk through. All my photos are of nature or it's surroundings because that's my favourite thing to photograph.

I really enjoyed this task as I got to combine sightseeing my new city and photography together. I don't feel like I learnt anything during this task as I already knew about photographing and changing photos to black and white but i'm still really haply I got to do it and also i'm very happy with the outcome of my three photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment