Thursday 22 October 2015

Monochromatic makeup look

Monochromatic colours in makeup is when you use the same colour but in a variety of shades, tints and tones. For example, if you chose to use the colour blue you could use a wide variety of blue shades starting from light blue to dark. You could use this colour everywhere on the face from the eyebrows to the eyes to contouring. I really like this look as I think it creates quite an interesting makeup look on the face, it looks quite like a catwalk style.

For our looks that we are creating, we are basing it on an Elizabethan style so to start with, we are going to create a white face base first. On top of this, we are going to create our monochromatic look on top of this. When creating my face chart, I decided to go with the colour blue as this is my favourite colour and there are a lot of different shades of blue so it will be quite easy to create a combined look on my partner's face. I didn't have a plan for the look I was going for so I just went with the flow and created a look based on the shades of colours I had and my creativity and imagination.


This was my face chart that I created. I used darker blue shade for the contour, lips and eyebrows and then went in with a lighter colour for the eyes and contour around the forehead and on the chin. I also put a slight bit of contour on the nose just so it didn't look too left out.

 I got paired with Nicole and I started with applying the Illamasqua matte primer on her face. Next, I made the white face base using Illamasqua skin base in shade 01, I applied this product with a flat foundation brush and then used a buffing brush to blend the product into the skin. This white base gives the look of an elizabethan makeup style. For the monochromatic look, I used my Kryolan supra colour palette and Kryolan variety eyeshadow palette. For the eyes and contour, I used the eyeshadow palette and I used the supra colour palette for the eyebrows.


I started off with the eyebrows and I blocked out her natural eyebrows with the white skin base foundation. This then made it easier to apply the product over her eyebrows as they were a lot lighter. I took the dark blue shade and applied them to where her natural brows started but when it came to the middle, I decided to continue the eyebrow going up straight rather than having an arch as I thought this gave them a more editorial/edgy look for the monochromatic style. The next stage was the eyes, I just did a basic blue smokey eye on top and then using the same colour as the eyebrows, I lined the bottom lid of her eyes. 


I next went in with the contour, starting on the cheeks first, I used a combination of the lighter blue and the darker blue shades from my eyeshadow palette and created this colour. I wanted the contour to be quite dramatic and to stand out a lot. I think I could have blended it better but I know that now for next time. Contouring the nose wasn't something I intended to do but I felt it would look good so I went ahead and contoured it and I am happy with the result. The last few steps was contouring the chin and around the forehead and then adding blue lipstick to the lips.

Overall, I am very pleased with my first monochromatic look. I know what I need to practise for next time and I am looking forward to getting better at practising my skills especially at blending. 

No comments:

Post a Comment